Sorry about this post but I’m about to get opinionated real quick. WHY IS DATING SO HARD IN YOUR 20’s? Like, we really need Tinder and Bumble to meet new people? I know that dating can be hard but I am here to share some tips that I feel like I have acquired over the past few years. CAUTION – I am by no means a dating expert and am definitely not in a relationship myself so if you do not care to know my opinion.. just scroll right on to the next post!
- TRYING TO ASK SOMEONE OUT. I feel like this specific point is directed towards men but can also apply to women, if you want to get a woman’s attention. Like, really get their attention. Walk up to them and introduce yourself. Do not walk up to them and say a cheesy pickup like ‘did you fall from heaven?’ or comment on how beautiful they are (you can after you introduce yourself but if you walk up to me and immediately tell me that I’m pretty.. all that I am thinking is ‘who is this guy?’) INTRODUCE YOURSELF.
- MEN and WOMEN, if we are at the bar and you ask if me if you can buy me a drink and I say no. PLEASE DO NOT PROCEED TO BUY ME A DRINK ANYWAYS. I won’t drink it and it was a waste of money. I never want to feel obligated to have a drink when I went out with the intention of not drinking that night. I don’t think that you need to buy me something for us to have a conversation.
- Day dates – I think that all first dates should be day dates. They are so much fun and definitely less pressure. Coffee, walks, breakfast etc. SO MUCH FUN. There is so much pressure put on dates in the evening and if someone is not having a good time it feels like it lasts forever.
- Do not get drunk on the first date. Yes, it can totally be nerve-racking to meet someone new but unless you are in the bar and getting ready to take someone home; don’t plan on getting wasted. You wasted = a wasted evening.
- MAKE SURE YOU AREN’T BEING RUDE. Being rude to a person is not a form of flirting. I know that people think that degrading the opposite sex can be humorous BUT I AM HERE TO TELL YOU THAT IT IS NOT FUNNY. Sarcasm, to me, is funny. But when you start to be rude and ‘play hard to get’ .. it isn’t funny anymore. Yeah when I was 16 I was all about ‘playing hard to get’ but now, in my 20’s .. not into it.
- WHAT NOT TO ASK : Why don’t you have a boyfriend? Why do people say that. Have you thought.. maybe, just maybe, I DON’T WANT A BOYFRIEND. It isn’t because I can’t find a boyfriend (hold up, lemme run to the boyfriend store real quick) it might just be because I enjoy life as an independent. I enjoy being single. You don’t always need someone to be happy.
- ASK QUESTIONS! So many dates are consumed by one person talking the entire time. AND, you want to know what the other person is doing? Probably not really listening. Make sure it is a two-way street and that both parties are learning more about each other.
- DO NOT sit on your phone the whole time. How did you live before you had a cell phone? What? Ring ring? You had conversations with people. Put the phone down and concentrate on the person you asked out or that asked you out
GUYS, I know that this post was all about me venting but does any of this get you riled up as well? I just want a normal human with a normal conversation. I know that these points are just thrown together but I wanted to share my thoughts on the whole thing. What do you guys think? Do you have any good tips to share as well?
PS – Here is a legit sidenote. My sister took my cover photo for this blog and she is super talented. Check out her page here.